twc home   |   charter   |   links & refs   |   mailing-list archive   |   song

Legal problems with access

Anexia (neocon@ix.netcom.com)
Sat, 29 Jun 1996 16:51:45 -0700

Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 16:51:45 -0700
From: Anexia <neocon@ix.netcom.com>
To: twc-l@halmarax.demon.co.uk
Subject: Legal problems with access

Someone (I am sorry, but I erased the letter...I can't recall who wrote
it...I think Tony did) brought up the legal problems with procuring
hallucinogens for the dying. I'm not sure what countries each of you
live in, but here in the US we are still struggling to get marijuana
legalized for AIDS patients (to enhance appetite, facilitate weight gain,
etc.). Getting LSD (or mescaline, ibogaine, psilocybin, etc) legalized
for the dying seems almost impossible. However, starting petitions never
hurts.
There is an interesting book called "Ayahasca Analogues" by
Jonathan Ott that discusses methods of preparing the famous
DMT/B-carboline jungle potion from legal plants that are indiginous to
the climates of Europe and North America. Also, San Pedro might be a
worthy canidate for hallucinogen source. It is a legal cactus, and it
contains mescaline.
Procuring hallucinogens legally can be done, but administering
them legally cannot (at least in the US). Getting these substances
lowered from a class one status to class two status seems important yet
improbable. The Religious Right would go loony-toons at the suggestion
that these "evil, Satanic drugs" be administerd to people on their death
beds. I don't know about Europe, but in the US, the church has MAJOR
political pull. It is almost a political party itself. They want a
monopoly on spiritual experiences. Since they cannot offer
transcendental experiences, anything that can is considered deadly
competition. While attempting to get these things legalized for the
dying is all-important, my guess is that we'll have to break a few laws
if we want to adminiser hallucinogens anytime soon.

--
"Nothing is true, all is permitted"
                    Hassan i Sabbah