twc home   |   charter   |   links & refs   |   mailing-list archive   |   song

re: archive

Weed (weed@wussu.com)
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 10:40:37 +0000

From: Weed <weed@wussu.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 10:40:37 +0000
Subject: re: archive

Just to disturb the dust on the rust of the wheels...

TWC-l mail archives now complete & available:

tip: sorting by "subject" more useful than sorting by "thread".

IMHO it's worth bearing in mind that the "subject:" of messages is
a powerful tool for organising the information. Would suggest:

it is better to answer posts on different subjects separately
keeping the original "subject:" in each case, rather than
combining the answers in one post with a new "subject:"

keeping the "subject:" exactly as it is unless it's intended to
split off from the old subject and start a separate topic
- eg adding a "!" to a previous subject is a great way of confusing
anyone at a later date who is trying to follow the discussion,
which suddenly splits into 2 sets of similar messages

making the content of a "subject:" field self-evident & concise
- eg "Huxley's meeting with Leary" is a lot more useful than
"something of interest I discovered the other day when..."
(which could well get truncated by some browsers)

nb these are the transgressions I'm most aware of coz they're all ones
I've done myself :)

weed <weed@wussu.com>

twc home   |   charter   |   links & refs   |   mailing-list archive   |   song